The aim. The research aims to analyze the dynamics of the intensity of an affective-hostile response in the structure of mental health disorders in blue-water sailors, as a destructive response of the personality to overtime occupational stress factors, depending on the level of psychosocial stress (PS) they have experienced.
The hypothesis. The hypothesis of the study was the statement about the connection between the level of PS and the severity of manifestations of aggression and hostility in this contingent.
Contingent and research methods. In 2016-19 during the inter-cruise period, 300 blue-water sailors were surveyed, among whom were 200 representatives of the merchant marine fleet (110 members of the command and 90 sailors) and 100 employees of the Ukrainian sea passenger fleet (70 command and 30 privates). All examined were men, citizens of Ukraine. The study included the use of clinical-psychopathological and psychodiagnostic methods.
Research results. It has been established that there is a close linear connection between the intensity of the aggressiveness phenomenon and the level of stress response inherent in the examined: an increase in the pathological stress load increases the severity of the manifestations of an aggressive response. The severity of the hostile response did not show any association with the level of PS experienced by the respondents.
Besides, an incongruence was revealed between the average intensity indicators of aggressive and hostile tendencies for long-distance sailors: increased hostility against the background of a less pronounced general aggressiveness was characteristic of people with low and moderate levels of PS, created conditions that provoked an inability to constructively respond to existing destructive aggressive impulses (verbal and indirect aggression, resentment and suspicion), which contributed to its further pathological transformation with growing irritation and worsening of stress load and pathological response to it, and made it impossible to reverse the development of affective and behavioural manifestations of mental maladjustment, identified in most patients.
Conclusion. The data obtained should be taken into account when developing specific measures of psychotherapy and psychoprophylaxis for this contingent, which is the prospect of this study.
Full-text of the article is available for this locale: Українська.
- Bass AG. Psihologija agressii. Voprosy psihologii. 1967;3:60-7.
- Greben' NF. Psihologicheskie testy dlja professionalov. Minsk: Sovremennaja shkola. 2007:496.
- Gaponov KD. Comparative characteristics of aggressiveness and its components in patients with alcohol dependence with different levels of psychosocial stress. Medicine today and tomorrow. 2018;79(2):23-32. URL: https://msz.knmu.edu.ua/article/view/311/293
- McVeigh J, MacLachlan M, Vallières F, et al. Identifying Predictors of Stress and Job Satisfaction in a Sample of Merchant Seafarers Using Structural Equation Modeling. Front Psychol. 2019;10:70. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2019.00070 PMID: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30787888
- Shafran LM, Golikova VV. Physiologo-hygienic peculiarities of seamen’s occupational activity on the specialized fleet. Ukrainian journal of occupational health. 2014;40(3):29-39. URL: https://ua.ujoh.org/upload-files/doc/vydav/14-03/05.pdf
- Shafran LM, Golikova VV. Seafarer's health savings competencies: goals, professional features, formation and development. Visnyk Mors'koi' Medycyny. 2018;80(3):4-12. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.1443543
- Fort E, Massardier-Pilonchéry A, Bergeret A. Psychoactive substances consumption in French fishermen and merchant seamen. Int Arch Occup Environ Health. 2010;83(5):497-509. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s00420-009-0473-y PMID: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19885671/
- Fort E, Massardier-Pilonchéry A, Facy F, Bergeret A. Prevalence of drug use in French seamen. Addict Behav. 2012;37(3):335-8. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.addbeh.2011.11.009 PMID: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22130516
- Frantzeskou E, Kastania AN, Riza E, Jensen OC, Linos A. Risk factors for fishermen’s health and safety in Greece. Int Marit Health 2012;63(3):155-61. PMID: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23129097
- Jeżewska M, Iversen R. Stress and fatigue at sea versus quality of life. Int Marit Health. 2012;63(3):106-15. PMID: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22972551
- Pougnet R, Pougnet L, Loddé B, et al. Consumption of addictive substances in mariners. Int Marit Health. 2014;65(4):199–204. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5603/IMH.2014.0038 PMID: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25522703
- Grappasonni I, Scuri S, Petrelli F, et al. Survey on smoking habits among seafarers. Acta Biomed. 2019;90(4):489‐497. DOI: https://doi.org/10.23750/abm.v90i4.9001 PMID: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31910174
- Laraqui O, Laraqui S, Manar N, Ghailan T, Deschamps F, Laraqui CH. Prevalence of consumption of addictive substances amongst Moroccan fishermen. Int Marit Health. 2017;68(1):19‐25. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5603/IMH.2017.000428357832
- Fort E, Massardier-Pilonchery A, Bergeret A. Alcohol and nicotine dependence in French seafarers. Int Marit Health. 2009;60(1-2):18‐28. PMID: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20205123
- ITF Maritime. A Broader Vision of Seafarer Wellbeing: Survey of ITF Maritime Affiliates on HIV/Aids, Health and Wellbeing. London: ITF House; 2015. URL: http://www.itfglobal.org/media/819789/hiv_survey.pdf
- Allen P, Wadsworth E, Smith A. Seafarers’ fatigue: a review of the recent literature. Int Marit Health. 2008; 59(1-4):81–92. PMID: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19227741
- Wang H. Study on the assessment of seafarers’ fatigue. Malmö: World Maritime University; 2012:106. URL: https://commons.wmu.se/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1020&context=all_dissertations
- Mellbye A, Carter T. Seafarers’ depression and suicide. Int Marit Health. 2017;68(2):108-14. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5603/imh.2017.0020 PMID: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28660614
- Oldenburg M, Jensen HJ, Latza U, Baur X. Seafaring stressors aboard merchant and passenger ships. Int J Public Health. 2009;54(2):96–105. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s00038-009-7067-z PMID: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19288290
- Oldenburg M, Baur X, Schlaich C. Occupational risks and challenges of seafaring. J Occup Health. 2010;52(5):249–56. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1539/joh.k10004 PMID: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20661002
- Jegaden D., Menaheze M., Lucas D., Loddé B., Dewitte J.D. Don't forget about seafarer's boredom. Int Marit Health. 2019;70(2): 82-7. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5603/IMH.2019.0013 PMID: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31237666
- Roberts SE, Marlow PB. Traumatic work related mortality among seafarers employed in British merchant shipping, 1976-2002. Occup Environ Med. 2005;62(3):172–80. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/oem.2003.012377 PMID: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15723882
- Oldenburg M, Hogan B, Jensen HJ. Systematic review of maritime field studies about stress and strain in seafaring. Int Arch Occup Environ Health. 2013;86(1):1–15. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s00420-012-0801-5 PMID: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22915144
- Allen P, Wadsworth E, Smith A. Seafarers’ fatigue: a review of the recent literature. Int Marit Health. 2008;59(1-4):81–92. PMID: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19227741
- Thomas M, Sampson H, Zhao M. Finding a balance: companies, seafarers and family life. Maritime Policy & Management. 2003;30(1):59–76. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/0308883032000051630
- Carotenuto A, Molino I, Fasanaro AM, Amenta F. Psychological stress in seafarers: a review. Int Marit Health. 2012;63(4):188‐194. PMID: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24595974
- Kanchika M, Iwasaki S, Konish A, et al. Aggression in Teachers is Related to Role Conflict and Role Ambiguity as Occupational Stress. Osaka City Med J. 2015;61(2):93‐104. PMID: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26995853
- Sosin IK, Gaponov KD, Goncharova OJu, Markova MV. Sposib diagnostyky klinichnoi' specyfiky i prognozu perebigu alkogol'noi' zalezhnosti u osib z riznym psyhotravmatychnym dosvidom i rivnem psyhosocial'nogo stresu. Kyiv: Informacijnyj lyst MOZ Ukrai'ny №249; 2018: 4.
- Hvan AA, Zajcev JuA, Kuznecova JuA. Standartizacija oprosnika Bassa i Darki. Psihologicheskaja diagnostika. 2008;1:35–58.
- Leka S. Psychosocial hazards and seafarer health: priorities for research and practice. Int Marit Health. 2004;55(1-4):137-55. PMID: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15881550
- Gaponov KD. Analysis of frequency and principal phenomena in persons with different level of psychosocial stress with alcohol addiction. Medicine today and tomorrow. 2018;4(81):57-66. URL: https://msz.knmu.edu.ua/article/view/341/323