Background. Anxiety is a normal protective mechanism that a person acquired during evolution and is the very first mental reaction that occurs in response to a disease or precedes it. When anxiety becomes long-term and pronounced, it is anxiety as a disorder that negatively affects a person’s quality of life, disrupting his physical, mental and social functioning.
The early diagnosis and treatment of anxiety in patients with chronic noncommunicable diseases (NCD) is important for preventing chronic and somatization of mental disorders, reducing and preventing complications of NCD.
At the primary care level, naturopathic drugs occupy an important place in the treatment of subclinical anxiety disorders or somatized anxiety disorders. A number of clinical studies prove the anxiolytic and anti-stress effect of ashwagandha extract L-thianine and passiflora extract (Passiflora incarnata), which were combined in the phytotherapy complex Anxiomedin®.
Methods and materials. An 4-week study tested the efficacy and safety of Anxiomedin in the treatment of psychosomatic manifestations of anxiety in 75 adult ambulatory patients with NCD. Patients were examined according to the HADS Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale, a four-dimensional questionnaire for assessing distress, depression, anxiety and somatization 4DSQ, the Sax-Sydney SSCT method of incomplete sentences; blood pressure (BP) and pulse were also monitored.
Results. At 4 weeks of therapy, patients with NCD and subclinical anxiety had a reduction: somatization on the 4DSQ scale (-57.7%), anxiety on the HADS scale (-58.6%), conflict index according to the SSCT method (-42.3%) , sympathicotonia (decrease in heart rate by 24.4%). Also according to the SSCT method, significant conflict zones that have undergone a significant reduction in the course of therapy were: attitude to the future (p <0.01); fears and anxieties (p <0.01); attitude to the disease (p <0,01); attitude to himself (p <0,05). No significant side effects were detected during the study.
Conclusion. There is a two-way link between anxiety and NCD regarding the onset and development of mental and physical disorders. In the treatment of subclinical and somatized anxiety, especially in primary care, naturopathic drugs, such as Anxiomedin, have proven to be effective and safe.
Full-text of the article is available for this locale: Українська.
- Fava GA, Cosci F, Sonino N. Current psychosomatic practice. Psychother Psychosom. 2017;86(1):13-30. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1159/000448856 PMID: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27884006/
- Konnopka A, König H. Economic Burden of Anxiety Disorders: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Pharmacoeconomics. 2019;38(1):25-37. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s40273-019-00849-7 PMID: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31646432/
- Khaustova O. Tryvozhna valiza ukraïns'kogo likarja. Vashe zdorov'ja. 2015;21:16-7. URL: https://www.vz.kiev.ua/trivozhna-valiza-ukrayinskogo-likarya/
- Stein DJ, Scott KM, de Jonge P, Kessler RC. Epidemiology of anxiety disorders: from surveys to nosology and back. Dialogues Clin Neurosci. 2017;19(2):127-36. PMID: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28867937/
- Baxter AJ, Scott KM, Vos T, Whiteford HA. Global prevalence of anxiety disorders: a systematic review and meta-regression. Psychol Med. 2013;43(5):897-910. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1017/S003329171200147X PMID: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22781489
- Scott KM, Von Korff M, Angermeyer MC, et al. Association of childhood adversities and early-onset mental disorders with adult-onset chronic physical conditions. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2011;68(8):838-44. DOI: https://doi.org/0.1001/archgenpsychiatry.2011.77 PMID: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21810647
- Celano CM, Daunis DJ, Lokko HN, Campbell KA, Huffman JC. Anxiety disorders and cardiovascular disease. Curr Psychiatr Rep. 2016;18(11):101. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s11920-016-0739-5 PMID: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27671918
- Scott KM. Depression, anxiety and incident cardiometabolic diseases. Curr Opin Psychiatry. 2014;27(4):289-93. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1097/YCO.0000000000000067 PMID: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24840158
- Chaban OS, Khaustova OO, Zhabenko OJu. Diagnostyka ta likuvannja psyhosomatychnyh rozladiv v zagal'nij medychnij praktyci (na prykladi metabolichnogo syndromu X). Kyiv: Metodychni rekomendaciji; 2009:40.
- Chaban OS, Khaustova OO. Terapija pacijentiv z tryvozhnymy syndromamy v mezhah nevrotychnyh ta psyhosomatychnyh rozladiv (sercevo-sudynna patologija i metabolichnyy̆ syndrom X). Kyiv: Metodychnyj posibnyk; 2009:45–6.
- Chaban OS, Khaustova OO. Psychosomatic comorbidity and quality of life in elderly patients. NeuroNEWS. 2016; 1(2):8-12. URL: https://neuronews.com.ua/uploads/issues/2016/2-1/803578556.pdf
- Huffman JC, Mastromauro CA, Beach SR, et al. Collaborative care for depression and anxiety disorders in patients with recent cardiac events: the Management of Sadness and Anxiety in Cardiology (MOSAIC) randomized clinical trial. JAMA Intern Med. 2014;174(6):927-35. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2014.739 PMID: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24733277/
- Meuret AE, Kroll J, Ritz T. Panic disorder comorbidity with medical conditions and treatment implications. Annu Rev Clin Psychol. 2017;13:209-40. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-clinpsy-021815-093044 PMID: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28375724/
- NICE. Anxiety disorders, quality standard. London: NICE; 2014. URL: www.nice.org.uk/guidance/qs53
- Kessler RC, Ruscio AM, Shear K, Wittchen HU. Epidemiology of anxiety disorders. Curr Topics Behav Neurosci. 2010;2:21-35. PMID: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21309104/
- Fajemiroye JO, da Silva DM, de Oliveira DR, Costa EA. Treatment of anxiety and depression: medicinal plants in retrospect. Fundam Clin Pharmacol. 2016;30(3):198-215. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/fcp.12186 PMID: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26851117/
- Zigmond AS, Snaith RP. The hospital anxiety and depression scale. Acta Psych Scandinav. 1983;67(6):361–70. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0447.1983.tb09716.x PMID: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/6880820/
- Terluin B, van Marwijk HW, Adèr HJ, et al. The Four-Dimensional Symptom Questionnaire (4DSQ): a validation study of a multidimensional self-report questionnaire to assess distress, depression, anxiety and somatization. BMC Psychiatry. 2006;6:34. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-244x-6-34 PMID: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16925825/
- Maier W, Buller R, Philipp M, Heuser I. The Hamilton Anxiety Scale: reliability, validity and sensitivity to change in anxiety and depressive disorders. J Affect Disord. 1988;14(1):61–8. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-0327(88)90072-9 PMID: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/2963053/
- Chaban OS, Khaustova OO. Praktychna psyhosomatyka, diagnostychni shkaly, navchal'nyj posibnyk. Kyiv: Medknyha; 2019:112.
- Khaustova OO. Psychosomatic masks of anxiety. UMJ. 2019;4(1):132. DOI: 10.32471/umj.1680-3051.132.160744